Thursday, December 11, 2008

Catching some air


The first image shows how far I took things before I pulled out the airbrush. That's right, I said airbrush. And when I say "pulled out" I actually mean spending an hour or so looking for the damn thing, and another two hours cleaning it. It's been a few years.

I used the airbrush to blush in that soft red on the wings, and to soften the cloudy sky.

Here's a neat trick from my commercial illustration days. Instead of using frisket, I made xerox copies of the wings on 11 x 17 paper. I then cut the wings out of the xeroxes and placed the paper over the painting as a mask. This goes much faster than cutting frisket, and there's less chances of cutting too deep. It also gives a softer and less artificial edge than frisket.

1 comment:

mjartist said...

Brian,

When you put the paper down do you use any adhesive to keep it in place while you air brush? If not how do you keep it from flying all over the place, or do you use a very low pressure while painting?

Thanks again,
Mike